• Sweat, Stink, & Pigs

    GALINDEZ You are sweating… right now - you just may not be aware of it because most of the time sweat evaporates off your skin so quickly you don’t even notice it. In fact, on a day of lounging around, you’re likely to have expelled 1 pint to 3 quarts of fluid. On a hot day filled with activity, you may expel as much as 20 quarts (or 5 gallons) of the stuff! Sweat gets a bad wrap – mainly because it can lead to uncomfortable social situations. However, sweat is a necessary evil of health. It is a natural byproduct of a functioning body. Although you can experience excessive or little sweat (a possible sign of a medical issue), a healthy amount of sweat is perfectly normal. As for the stink, that can be managed with a combination of regular hygiene and proper preparation (like antiperspirants and a change of clothes). However, for those who are overweight, sweaty may be a state you just can’t shake. This is because your body is constantly cooling itself. When you are overweight, your body is not only constantly under stress, but it becomes inefficient at simple tasks like cooling itself. WHAT IS SWEAT? 10-sweat-conditions-1200x800Sweat is your body’s natural reaction to stress, fear, excitement, anxiety, and increased body temperature. It is excreted through millions of sweat glands (2-5 million) located all over the body – except for the lips, nipples, and external genital organs. There are two different kinds of sweat. The body’s most abundant kind comes from eccrine sweat glands. Eccrine gland sweat is 99% water – the remaining 1% includes electrolytes (including sodium) and metabolic wastes (urea and lactic acid). This type of sweat helps your body regulate temperature, working day and night to keep your body at 98.6 F (some people may naturally have slightly lower or higher temperatures). The other type of sweat, originating from apocrine sweat glands, is responsible for that perspiration that arises from emotional situations like excitement or fear. Apocrine glands are linked to hair follicles and are found in areas like the head, groin, and underarm. Along with the usual ingredients, apocrine gland sweat also contains proteins and fatty acids, which give it a milky consistency and a yellowish color - making it a leading cause of yellow armpit stains and stink. BODY ODOR AND SWEAT That funk in the gym is not sweat you smell. Although sweat is responsible for B.O, it does not have an odor itself. When the bacteria on your skin are introduced to the proteins and fatty acids in apocrine gland sweat, they have a feast. This banquet creates the stink. “SWEATING LIKE A PIG?” tumblr_kv24soa9hP1qa1rv0o1_500The truth is - pigs don’t really sweat much, which is why they love frolicking in cool mud to lower their body temperature. So why the saying “sweat like a pig”? The term is actually derived from the production of pig iron in the steel making process. After the smelting process, pig iron cools - forming beads of moisture on the surface. That “sweat” indicates that the pig has cooled enough to be safely handled. BENEFITS OF SWEAT Cools the Body - Sweat helps cool the body down and stabilize temperature. Provides Chemical Balance - Electrolyte excretion helps regulate chemical levels in the blood. Protects the Skin – Sweat contributes to a protective layer on the skin that shields us from wind, dust, debris, and invasive organisms.
  • Comments on this post (0 comments)

  • Leave a comment

Success! Feel free to continue shopping or head to your cart .

c